Re: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development

Subject: Re: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development
From: Paul Hart <hart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:54:09 -0600 (MDT)
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, David Schweinsberg wrote:

> The layout is very much like Ultima IV, although the grid is 9x9 rather
> than 11x11, and the status info on the right will consist only of triple
> P0 graphics.

> An encoding scheme is currently under development to allow a large world
> (hopefully 256x256) to be held within something like a 16K cart. (thanks
> Chris!), with lots of space left over.

Incidentally, this (256x256) is the exact size of Britannia, at least in
the Commodore 64 and PC versions of Ultima IV (and probably all versions).
Before I wrote a map decoder for Ultima IV and deciphered the game map
file on the floppy I would have sworn that the surface of Britannia had to
have been larger than that since 256x256 doesn't sound very large, but in
practice it does yield quite a large world.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@xxxxxxxxxxx        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/