Re: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development

Subject: Re: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development
From: Dan Knapp <dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
> Incidentally, this (256x256) is the exact size of Britannia, at least in
> the Commodore 64 and PC versions of Ultima IV (and probably all versions).
> Before I wrote a map decoder for Ultima IV and deciphered the game map
> file on the floppy I would have sworn that the surface of Britannia had to
> have been larger than that since 256x256 doesn't sound very large, but in
> practice it does yield quite a large world.

  Oh, yes.  It may be sacrilege to mention it on this list, but Hyrule is
only 16*16 (in Zelda 1), plus the dungeons which are really just a few
basic room-patterns used multiple times.  So 256*256 is more locations by a
factor of 256.  However, you can't possibly fit that many distinct locations
in 16k - at a byte per location that would be 64k; multiply by 10 or more.

|The Mauve Baron|  Beep  | dankna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                           |
|---------------|  Blip  | http://www.bergen.org/~dankna/                  |
|   Dan Knapp   |  Bonk  | C PS SQL Java Unix Mac RPN/L NES SMB1 BM        |