RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development

Subject: RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development
From: "David Schweinsberg" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:46:51 +0100
>I personally would like to tackle such a project, but alas, work
>commitments and current events in my personal life mean I will have no
>time for coding or electronics outside of work. I can nearly picture the
>structures needed for this project - it would be fun working out an
>effective encoding scheme.

If you have the time to sketch-out any schemes they would be most
appreciated.  Certainly I'm working on a sparse-array type scheme at the
moment.  What I'd like is something that could return a given 9 element row
or column, thus only decoding the landscape that comes into view when
moving.

I would imagine that since this is a turn-based game (as opposed to action)
the decoding wouldn't need to be completed within a single frame - would
anyone begrudge a 10ms delay?

I was also thinking of using the Video Touch Pad (substitute Keyboard
Controller) along with a joystick, allowing for a more elegant command
interface.  (I know keyboards take a while to read, but I'd just interleave
the delays with other work)

David Schweinsberg