RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development

Subject: RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development
From: "David Schweinsberg" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:01:56 +0100
>The key word here is tiling.  Many, many NES games used that to create
>large worlds... the Legend of Zelda (and Zelda II) dungeons are great
>examples - Zelda II even used different images for "bricks" in each palace
>to make it look different.  Metroid is also a great example.

There seems to be quite a difference in the Western and Japanese
interpretations of a role-playing game.  I've never owned a Japanese
console, and thus all my influences are from Ultima, Bards Tale, and their
ilk.  The Japanese ones seem to have a much stronger narrative, which I'm
not sure how that could be tackled with the 2600.

One thing I really liked with Ultima was the use of support material i.e.
cloth maps, spell books, etc.  Perhaps the detail regarding any storyline
could be contained externally (on paper or electronically).

Erik, thanks for the prototype.  One thing I did want to capture from the
Ultima experience was the feeling that one was in a vast world that needed
much exploration.  I always preferred the "outdoors" to delving into
dungeons - not that I don't think dark, damp, smelly and perilous pits are
important to the RPG.

David Schweinsberg