RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development

Subject: RE: [stella] Role-Playing Game Development
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:39:49 -0400 (EDT)
> There seems to be quite a difference in the Western and Japanese
> interpretations of a role-playing game.  I've never owned a Japanese
> console, and thus all my influences are from Ultima, Bards Tale, and their
> ilk.  The Japanese ones seem to have a much stronger narrative, which I'm
> not sure how that could be tackled with the 2600.

That's very true.  The Japanese games all set you up with a setting, a
storyline, and a goal, while the American games such as the ones you
mentioned, Eye of the Beholder, the Might & Magic series, and so on, are
meant to replicate an AD&D universe with its wide-open go-wherever
feeling.  I just realized that I have never really gotten into any
American-developed RPG with the exception of NES Ultima IV (and Diablo,
but that's not really an RPG.)  I like the Japanese style better, but not
everyone does I guess.  I've started playing but didn't get immersed into
countless American RPGs: Ultimas I, VII (PC), III, V (NES), numerous SSI
Gold Box games, Might & Magic IV and VI, Wizardry VII, and others.

</ramble> :)

> One thing I really liked with Ultima was the use of support material i.e.
> cloth maps, spell books, etc.  Perhaps the detail regarding any storyline
> could be contained externally (on paper or electronically).

Nah, just stick it in the game as text like other RPGs do.  Just keep the
text short. :)

> Erik, thanks for the prototype.  One thing I did want to capture from the
> Ultima experience was the feeling that one was in a vast world that needed
> much exploration.  I always preferred the "outdoors" to delving into
> dungeons - not that I don't think dark, damp, smelly and perilous pits are
> important to the RPG.

I've never much cared for the vast-world-exploration.. if I wanna do that,
I'll just take a subway and go walk around Manhattan for a while :)  I do
think RPGs need to do more stuff outdoors instead of having every single
villain in a deep dark dungeon, though.