Re: [stella] My version of a scrolling demo

Subject: Re: [stella] My version of a scrolling demo
From: "woloch.kurt. :E2-RB.BRZ.BMF.GV" <kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 19:58:52 +0200
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

>John said he doesn't mind some competition and he wondered how much
>difference a six sprite routine would make to the scrolling display,
>so I did two little demos by myself. They work like Kurt has sugested
>it, so I hope he isn't disapointed about my programming skills as well. ;-)

No, not at all... in fact I wouldn't have expected a scrolling demo using a
charset AND a proportional font! This is great!!! I think I'll have to
re-convert this to the C-64... I haven't seen anyone doing a scrolling

of course you could afterwards still save more space on the cart by
compressing the font to the chars that were actually used... ;-)

>SCRLBAR6.BIN uses single scanline resolution and can have 3056
>characters. Since it was a bit hard to read on a real VCS, SCRLBAR5.BIN
>uses double scanline resolution and can hold only 3015 characters.
>On a Supercharger both programs can only hold 4 characters less than on
>a real cart or an emulator.

Sorry, but SCRLBAR5.BIN is also hard to read. The reason is that it scrolls
relatively fast, and the color bars go by the scrolling message on the left
and right. Maybe it'd be better to have the message itself change the color
(if possible)?

John, sorry that I didn't answer to your post... and sorry about your little
cart too. Still, I wish you luck that it will sell well in spite of
Eckhard's version...

With love (and best wishes)

Kurt Woloch