[stella] So I decided to program something...

Subject: [stella] So I decided to program something...
From: Mark De Smet <desmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 00:46:27 -0500 (CDT)
Well, Just a week ago, I had some time free, and realised that I really
probably should program a game.  Mainly for the purpose of gaining a
better understanding of how game code for the atari works, but also for
fun of course ;-)

So, I decided to program something.  I wanted something that wouldn't take
too long, and would not require to many(any) of the graphics tricks.
Hence, I decided to make "Video Simon".  Yes, Simon as in that 80's
electronic toy where you have to repeat the pattern it displays.

In order with my goal of learning, I would really appreciate comments.  I
would really like it if people told me what I did wrong, or what I did
right. Particularly if you can look at my code and tell me why it is
stupid/brilliant. I will include the binary and the code in another
mailing, but they are currently on my web site in case the attachments get
held up.
Find it here:
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~desmet/projects.html

If it seems fishy that I just suddenly bring this up with no previous
warning, or questions, it is because I only started it last Tuesday, and
having much experience in embedded systems programming, it wasn't hard
doing stuff without any of the special graphics tricks. The thing is that
programming the VCS requires thinking about code differently.  Things are
just done different.  That is why I would like to know others opinions on
how I did things, and how they may have been better done.

Things to note:
-It isn't 100% completed.  I have made notes in the code as to what is
 not yet done, and what could be optimised
-I did not do much optimization because I didn't see a need to.
-Yes, I used Nick's "How to draw a playfield" to start.
-I havn't really decided if these will be the final button colors or
 sounds.  My TV isn't quite normal when it comes to colors, so I'd
 appreciate knowing better color codes.
-I recommend playing it on a real VCS as i've had some issues playing
 it on pcae.  I havn't tried it on a SC, but I left off those two bytes
 so it should work.
-the flashing background is intended as only temporary until I decide
 what to do for a startup demo.  I was thinking of haveing 'simon' play
 a song on it'self, but it is difficult to find a song with only 4 notes.
-I know the score gets kinda wierd after 99 levels, and gets just plain
 messed up after 130.  If you are using a SC, it may also hit that so
 called hot-spot past that point.  Even if you are using the emulator
 or an eprom, it may crash as I did not put in a check case to prevent
 my two stacks from colliding.
-I couldn't figure a better way to come up with the decimal number to
 put in the 'score'.  Is there a better method than converting it like
 I did?
-Sorry my labels in my game computations suck, I havn't gotten around
 to changeing them to be more useful.
-Yes, the buttons that flash are completely random(well, unless you have
 reflexes and can count faster than 17 ms.).

How to play:
Joystick works at an angle, so the pressing up causes simons upper left
button to be pressed.  Don't press two directions at the same time.  The
controller button acts as simons reset button.  The consoles select button
slides Simon's level switch.  Levels 1-3 are regular simon, with 1 the
easiest.  Level 4 is a music level.  You can push simons buttons to make
music.  Then when you push the controller button, it will play your song
back.  Pressing the consoles reset switch will clear the memory.  The
'score' at the top of the screen indicates how many simon button presses
are currently in the pattern.  Unpredicable results may occur if this
'score' gets above 127

Let me know what you think :-)

Mark