Re: [stella] So I decided to program something...

Subject: Re: [stella] So I decided to program something...
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 14:51:35 +0200
At 00:46 01.09.99 -0500, you wrote:

>-I havn't really decided if these will be the final button colors or
> sounds.  My TV isn't quite normal when it comes to colors, so I'd
> appreciate knowing better color codes.

On a PAL system the lower right colour is grey, which isn't a
good choice, since the pressed buttons are also displayed in grey.
So to make your game more international you should at least change
this colour.

>-I recommend playing it on a real VCS as i've had some issues playing
> it on pcae.  I havn't tried it on a SC, but I left off those two bytes
> so it should work.

If you don't like PCAE, I'd recommend Z26 instead. If it comes to
graphics and sound emulation it is almost perfect, at least for
the currently existing games.

>Let me know what you think :-)

I didn't have enough time to take a closer look at the code yet, but
if you want to align some data at a 16 byte boundary, like your
score graphics, you can use 'ALIGN 16' and DASM will do that for
you. No need to do that yourself with ORGs.

Also if you want to specify variables in RAM, there is no need
to assign the RAM addresses yourseld with EQU. DASM will keep
track of that for you, if you do:

   SEG.U variables
   ORG $80
Name1   ds   X   ; X = the number of bytes your variable needs
NAME2   ds   Y   ; Y = the number of bytes your variable needs
   SEG   code
   ORG $F000

As for the game: It's a very nice version of Simon.(Or Senso, as
it was called in Germany back then.) But IIRC you could win the game
by remembering the sequence until Simons memory was completely filled.
Maybe you should end the game after level 99, turn the level counter
into two exclamation marks or something and repeat playing the full
sequence very quickly as a sign that the game was won. Then you
wouldn't have to deal with the strange looking numbers above 100
and the game couldn't crash either.

Also I rember Simon having a four player mode, where each player
was assigned a colour. If you forgot to press your button when it was
your turn or when you pressed the button when it wasn't your turn,
your colour was disqualified and a new sequence started with only
the remainimg colours until only one player was left. You could
implement this if you use the four paddle buttons instead of
the joystick for input.

There was another multi player mode where the player in turn had
to play the current sequence and then had to add another colour
to it making it longer for the next player. Maybe you could add
that instead of the music mode.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg