RE: [stella] Superchip?

Subject: RE: [stella] Superchip?
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:48:49 -0700
At 08:46 AM 10/15/99 +0200, you wrote:
Who knows why they didn't put the Superchip in other games..

The Pitfall II chip is the DPC chip. I haven't asked Crane specifically, but I would bet you that he worked on at least one other game designed to use it which was either never finished or never released. It was not designed specifically to be used in only one game, as you can see in the patent docs. At least for testing purposes he must have written some programs to use some of the other functions of the chip. That might be cool to run on an emulator... Or to run programs for the DPC which will only run on the emulator (since we can't manufacture it).

For those of you who watched Stella at 20: Volume 2, The reason the DPC chip ended with Pitfall II had to do with the crash and also that the chip couldn't compete with the economy of scale of larger 8/16K banked ROMs. According to Crane, a lot of what the DPC chip gave to the 2600 could be done by virtue of more ROM for specialized code: tables to save CPU, etc...

As for the Superchip, which adds the RAM to the cart, that was used for several latter games like Save Mary, Millipede, Jr. Pac Man, etc...

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/