[stella] Using DiStella and figuring out the "tricks"

Subject: [stella] Using DiStella and figuring out the "tricks"
From: Scott Huggins <sub17_5k@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:23:29 -0700 (PDT)
After I got VERY used to Nick's How To Draw a
Playfield file as a template for EVERY demo/game I've
done thus far, I decided it's time to un-assemble,
using DiStella, a game and "see how they did some
things". Wow, was I in for a shock.

I chose Space Jockey (I know, it's pretty boring)
because I liked the way the flying saucer sprite
rotated...it just seems to work so smoothly.

Anyway, the code was insane. And I don't mean that it
was too hard to figure out...just that it was
spaghetti code...I was appalled that it even worked!
After spending three days "untangling" it, I figured
out how to successfully code it like Nick's template.

Have you guys found that this is the general case on
some of these games?