Re: [stella] What happened to "The Core"?

Subject: Re: [stella] What happened to "The Core"?
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 14:45:03 -0700 (PDT)
--- "John K. Harvey" <jkharvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I don't believe anyone has ever played it, so it's
> even rumored that the whole thing was a hoax.  Has
> anyone ever tried it at all? "The Core" website:
> http://www.plethora.net/~paulo/thecore.html

I got a look at the site (thank you for the info).

Allow me to introduce you to another hobby of mine
that occupies way too much of my time.  That hobby is
true crime, with a focus on swindles, scams, and
hoaxes.  As my mind drifts back to the stories of 2600
Doom, I look at the screen shot and wonder--was this
game even possible?  Knowing what I know about the
2600 (comparatively little, but still a starting
point), those concentric circles look a little too
neat to be drawn with playfield graphics.  Couple that
with the whole "Pong In A Circular Arena" theme.  Just
trying to do basic calculations is a headache for a
beginning programmer (and I'm assuming this yo-yo is a
beginner, too).  If the paddles can be adjusted to hit
the ball in different directions, plus keep track of
trajectory, and player locations, and still do the
screen drawing (I notice it can change at the halfway
point), this strikes me as being a bit much for a "you
have so many VBLANK lines to figure things out"
system.  Professional and expert opinion, please:  is
this game really possible to make on the 2600?

Also, anyone know where I can read more about things
like the Pitfall 3 hoax?  The FAQ doesn't really tell
where to learn more, you know?