Re: [stella] FAQ draft proposal

Subject: Re: [stella] FAQ draft proposal
From: Russ Perry Jr <slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 22:56:39 -0500
Just a small bit in the way of comments...

At 12:37 PM -0700 5/15/00, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>Remember, the 2600 covers a lot of ground.  There are already multiple
>2600-related FAQs.  The main 2600 FAQ as it is is a monster of a document.
>
>I'm not opposed to merging all the information into an "everything you
>ever wanted to (or didn't want to) know about the 2600" megadocument, but
>the narrower the focus the easier the task of compiling and editing it
>together.

Given what you've said, may I point out how ideal HTML can be for a
project like this...

If there are other FAQs with info, you just point a link to the appropriate
FAQ (and if it has an anchor tag directly to the relevent info, so much
the better).  Your book becomes a hyperlink infopedia.  All is good.

There's no reason not to put up REAL pictures for schematics AND ASCII
drawings as well, so people with differing capabilities can still find
the docs useful.

And, for the real luddites, you can always select all on a web page to
get all the words to be saved as text.

Though one thing...  Do any of the "big" DTP packages allow you to make
a template in its native format, autolink text from text files, and allow
output to be saved as HTML or PDF as well as native?  I'm thinking you
then have text files that can be modified by any text or document processing
language, the results are linked into the main document, and without too
much effort, you can spit out the results to HTML *&* PDF (and probably
RTF, DOC, TXT, whatever) from the same document, meaning they shouldn't
get out of sync.

Whew, I didn't mean to type that much...
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #105   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||