[stella] a real book

Subject: [stella] a real book
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 23:40:01 -0700
At 11:14 PM 5/16/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Funny thing, a couple people out there have told me that some
>publisher actually published books about this...  However, I've
>seen no proof, and of course they couldn't remember who the
>publisher might be (they thought it might not be a "bookstore"
>book, but rather a technical publication of some sort).

One of the cool things is that O'Reilly's accepts unsolicited book manuscripts. If they like your book well enough, they will publish it. That's why O'Reilly's publishes all sorts of very technical very nichey books, but they are considered the best at what they do.

http://www.oreilly.com/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/prdindex.html

Somewhat nichey stuff they cover includes:
BeOS
Choosing a Wheelchair
DocBook
DCE Applications
RPC
curses (who uses that anymore?)
Smileys :)

They have a writer's guide out there.

Here is what they have to say about new book ideas:

"We're always looking for new authors and new book ideas. Our ideal author has real technical competence and a passion for explaining things clearly. We're happy to work with first time authors, and encourage inquiries about virtually any topic. However, it helps if you know that we tend to publish "high end" books rather than books for dummies, and generally don't want yet another book on a topic that's already well covered.
At the same time as you might say that our books are written "by and for smart people," they also have a down to earth quality. We like straight talk that goes right to the heart of what people need to know.
If you browse through our catalog, you'll get a sense of the kind of books we tend to publish. You might also find So You Want to Write a Book, a handbook for new authors, and the O'Reilly Stylesheet and Word List, helpful. Finally, we list some topic areas we're particularly interested in right now. "

http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/author/ch01.html#looking

If O'Reilly isn't interested in publishing it, I'm sure another publisher would. There is no shortage of publishers out there and there is a constant need for new material.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/