Re: [stella] miniaturization

Subject: Re: [stella] miniaturization
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 17:58:57 -0700
At 03:36 PM 7/2/2000 -0700, you wrote:
Still, that notion also provides a ray of hope.  Think
about it:  a $30 Game Gear, which has a color screen,
and the TV Tuner, if I recall correctly, had video and
audio inputs.  So there should be a way, if only the
secret could be found.

Actually, the Game Gear might be a good solution because if the TV Tuner hooked up through the cartridge, then that means that the cart port MUST support A/V lines. However, I've read that later models don't support the tuner, so these lines may have been removed.

But for the earlier units, it would definitely be possible to create a 2600 cartridge adapter for it.

However, the GameGear only has an effective resolution of 160x144 (or 146), so that might spoil some 2600 games depending on how it resamples the composite signal.

Another idea would be the Nomad, but from the FAQ it appears as if the Power Base Converter won't work with it, and since the PBC operats similar to the old style 2600 adapters where A/V is routed through the cart port, then I think the Nomad excluded these lines.

I've read that the Nomad has a resolution of 320x224, but I don't know if that refers to the Genesis part of it or the LCD.

Supposedly the Turbo Express has the best looking screen, high res and active matrix. The TV tuner hooks in through an 8-pin port, so it's certainly possible to create an adapter cart for this one.

But the Turbo Express stuff seems to be going for a fortune on Ebay.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc

-- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/