Re: [[stella] New ROMS - old idea]

Subject: Re: [[stella] New ROMS - old idea]
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:57:14 -0400
At 09:35 AM 8/13/00 -0500, Dan Iacovelli wrote:
>The tempest 2600 rom can't be disassmemble with distella because it's too
>big(8K). it can be dissabled with the dissambler in pcae(however it won't be

Actually, I once disassembled Ms. Pac Man, which is 8k (long after my hack
was done, because someone asked me "Why didn't you just disassemble it,
make the changes and reassemble?" DUH.) It did involve splitting it in two
with a hex editor before distella would take it (tried to hack distella to
deal with 8k images but I'm a few clues short, it coredumped every time)
and I think I had to change the ORG on one of the halves and do a little
search and replace.  I did manage to get it to reassemble with dasm, catted
the two new binaries back together and it was still working.  Never did a
byte compare though.

Still, probably easier than hand-disassembling, writing the code for the
changes and hand-assembling it back into the code (which is what I actually
did.)  It would be pretty trivial to write a couple of scripts to do what I
did for >4K images in general, I think.  The right thing to do would be to
make distella smarter if I were a little less clue-impaired.

Rob

kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog ... Rob