Re: [stella] 2600/5200/7800 Programming Tutorial

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600/5200/7800 Programming Tutorial
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:06:31 +0100
kurt.woloch@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >Ironically, displaying "Hello World" onscreen would require some fairly
> >sophisticated programming no matter how you do it ;)  (well, I suppose you
> >could do it with the playfield without a sophisticated kernel, but then it
> >would be Hello Hello World World...)

> Not quite. If you set the playfield to the mode where the foreground colors
> for the left and right halve are the player colors, you could set one of
> them equal to the background color and make the other one stand out of it,
> so the text would only appear once, in one half of the screen. This wouldn't
> have to be very sophisticated...

Uhm... just a quick thought, wouldn't it be possible to do something
like this:

Top:
sta WSYNC	; Finish current line
Lda hello,x 	; \
sta PF1		;  \
		;   > Write 'hello' to the PF
Lda hello+1,x	;  /
sta PF2		; /

Lda world,x 	;
Ldy world+1,x	; load 'world' graphics

;... burn x cycles until the 'o' is fully painted

sta PF1	     	; Make the space between the 'o' and the 'h' big
sty PF2	     	; enough to execute these two store instructions

dex		;
dex		; Point to next lines of graphic data
bne Top		;

Greetings,
	Manuel