Re: [stella] Merry Xmas

Subject: Re: [stella] Merry Xmas
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:07:43 +0100
Russell Babylon wrote:

> Here is a Christmas present for all of you.  For your gaming pleasure,
> or lack there of, I present my version of Yahtzee for the 2600. I have
> been working on this off and on for a year or so.  I wanted to program
> something for the 2600 so I thought I would pick something that had
> not been done before and Yahtzee seemed like it would be easy :>)
> enough to do.  I also wanted to learn as many 2600 programming tricks
> as possible.

After updating Z26, the flickering of the Status lines stil wasn't gone,
so I think it is intended to do so?

I think using the '48 Big Sprite' alghorythm would help avoiding this.
You could do 12 chars in a line when creating a 3x5 font, looking like
this:
For example '12':

..X.XXX.
..X...X.
..X.XXX.
..X.X...
..X.XXX.

I think Eckhard Stollberg might have used this technique for 'Cubis'.

I was thinking about doing something similar for my Star Fire 2600. The
problem is the immense ROM usage. You'd need 100*6 = 600 Bytes, just for
displaying the numbers '00' - '99'. So I had the idea of generating the
Sprite on the fly. That means in memory I'd store:

..X.....
..X.....
..X.....
..X.....
..X.....

and

....XXX.
......X.
....XXX.
....X...
....XXX.

And just 'OR' these values, when needed.

I just don't know, if this would be possible 'on the fly', that means
calculating the value every single line, or if one has to calculate and
store the whole  value in the RAM _before_ entering the '48 Pixel Big
Sprite' routine.

What would you say Eckhard?

Greetings,
	Manuel