Re: [stella] Tetris brainstorming

Subject: Re: [stella] Tetris brainstorming
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 10:32:23 -0500
At 03:08 AM 1/7/01 -0500, Erik Mooney wrote:
>Official Tetris is 10 columns wide.  Many knockoffs make it wider (very
>few make it narrower), and that takes a lot away from the game because you
>have a lot more room to put unwanted pieces.  (Sorry, just a personal
>dislike. :) )  And note that you'd actually need 13 lines to enclose 12
>columns, so you'd have to use one missile.

I think I have a handheld clone that makes it 8, actually.  Anyway, I don't
think it's really necessary to mask it on both ends, though if official
Tetris is 10 columns wide it's obviously an option.  Then again, you end up
with an extra vertical line with 10 columns, so it may be better to use 3
copies of player 1, 2 copies of player 2 and 1 copy of a missile.

>Not sure exactly what you mean by "switch them off"...?

Sorry.  Move them offscreen or whatever.  Any usual method of not
displaying them.

>It does sound like it would work, as long as you don't need the players or
>missiles for anything else.

Yeah, I'm making the assumption that you'd be using the playfield to draw
the score (or drawing it above or below the playfield.)

Rob

kudla@xxxxxxxxx ... http://kudla.org/raindog ... Rob