Re: [stella] parallel efforts / Invaders

Subject: Re: [stella] parallel efforts / Invaders
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:49:04 -0800
At 04:44 PM 3/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
That's exactly my problem.  Doing a seemingly-impossible kernel is fun,
especially when it's something even an NES couldn't do.  Writing joystick
code, missile movement, collision detection, score display is boring and
why I never finished either version of INV.

I for one was really disappointed that INV was abandoned. In the waning days there was talk of how to deviate from the formal Space Invaders play pattern, like coming up with innovative 2-player competitive options.

It could have turned into something more than just a straight port.

And I rather liked the idea of playfield being used like sprites. I remember pushing you to do the color changes and the "shapes" using the two horizontal blocks of resolution you had available for each invader. I thought the look was quite acceptable, really, and very unique for a 2600 game.

It certainly appears as if the list has gotten about as active if not moreso now than it was in the heyday of 97. Maybe someone would be willing to either finish off INV...

I thought I actually had the pixel shifting solved, or at least reasonably
minimized.  Also, it's only a one pixel shift, and it happens because
there are nine pixels between successive RESPx hits, but only 8 pixels

Is there a way to fix the timing by using illegal opcodes or the "sta.w" addressing mode trick? I suppose the problem is not enough time rather than not wasting enough time...

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/