[stella] Time To Get Serious

Subject: [stella] Time To Get Serious
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:09:44 -0800 (PST)
I'm actually a bit ahead on my writing.  Since I have
time, it's time for me to start playing with the
programming knowledge I've acquired.  In order to use
it, I need to use DASM.  A couple of questions:

I put the processor I want (6502) in the text file to
become a program, right at the very beginning, right?

How do I, in the program, establish where in memory
things are?  I notice disassembled code uses ORG
$F000, which is where I expect it starts the program.
Do I, say, ORG $F999 later in the program is that is
where I want ROM data like character shapes to go, or
is there another command?

Is the byte command what I use to start the program?
I have to reread the manual on this point, but if I
recall correctly, the Atari goes to $FFFE and $FFFF
first.  The line where the program commands start goes
here, last half of the address first ($00 then $F0).
I establish what part of memory the assembler is
creating data for, then use byte to put those numbers
in there, right?

What does LSB, MSB order mean?

Is the format option where I set the assembler to
either just pump out the code (giving me an accurate
figure on the amount of memory the program uses) or
fill any memory spaces left with zeroes giving the
nice even 4K or whatever numbers?
Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.