Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Design thoughts

Subject: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Design thoughts
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:28:55 +0200
Erik Mooney schrieb:

> It has been done, yes... it isn't that difficult if you can time the
> kernel to have the write in the correct place.  IIRC, you have a
> four-color-clock margin; you can change PF2 while it is scanning out the
> last playfield-pixel (4 clocks wide).

Yippieh! Thanks oh mighty Stella Guru!
It works! *bounce*

And the magic cycle # is: -->44<-- Tada! (Hehe, if I would've been one
of the Stella designers, I'd probably have made it work on cycle 42 :-)
but Hitchhiker wasn't even written then anyway...)

Check out the new binary with the completely reworked kernel, looks
awesome, eh? It's a totally asymetric obstacle stored in the RAM -->
i.e. shootable!
And, if this wouldn't already be cool enough, I have even some 10+
cycles left for toying around with the colors of the playfield. We'll
see what all can be done here, ATM I just do some quick dummy color
shades...

> >The only other way I can think of ATM is to skip shootable obstacles
> >completely, but offer lots of different obstacle layouts instead, like
> >the river, some rocky/fency areas, a train, a coach, a tree and a cactus
> >for example...
> I think this would be okay.  Let some of the obstacles move around during
> gameplay, and that will provide a reasonable dynamic environment like you
> were striving for with shootable obstacles.

Now I can do it both!

Greetings,
	Manuel