Re: [stella] Paddles

Subject: Re: [stella] Paddles
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:08:34 +0200
Manuel wrote:
> Is that true with the 160 lines? I think then any emulation project is
> doomed to fail. You'd be faster in recreating everything from scratch
> then.

I dont't quite agree, there exist some very good rescaling algorithms (i.E. one GBA line is the result of the weighted sum of two or three VCS lines). I think for most games, the result would be very playable, but the graphics could sometimes look a bit crappy.

Actually you need to convert from 160x~200 (depends on the game) pixel to 240x160 pixels. If you have enough cpu-power this would not be a problem. But the GBA has a 16.78 MHz ARM RISC cpu, i'm not sure, how well realtime scaling can be implemented on that machine.

> When emulating, you'd have not only to reverse-enigineer every game you'd
> like to include, but to do major gameplay redesign work for every game as well.
>
> Just resizing the graphics to 83,3% vertically would obviously turn out
> as complete crappy mess and with just cutting off 32 lines you'd destroy
> 99% of all games for sure.

If you would just skip every fifth line, that wouldn't work for many kernels that use high y-resolutions.
(In Thrust some lines of the cave would miss, maybe the score would become unreadable)

> Or take Thrust. How much time would you need for cutting 32 lines in
> it, Thomas?

Thrust displays 196 lines, that's 36 lines to many.
If you have a source-code, which uses not to many magic-numbers but constants instead (like mine:), changing would only take some hours. But you'd need some more additional playtesting and adjustments.

Changing Jammed would be quite easy, because it's not very dynamic and uses mostly blocky graphics.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

Sie surfen im Internet statt im Meer? Selbst schuld!
Auf zum Strand: http://lastminute.de/?PP=1-0-100-105-1

-