[stella] SCSIcide gameplay update

Subject: [stella] SCSIcide gameplay update
From: Joe Grand <jgrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:20:46 -0400
Hi everyone-

Attached is an small update to SCSIcide... I received a bunch of awesome comments from a lot of people (thanks to Alex sticking up a small blurb on http://www.atariage.com). I tried to implement a few thing to see how gameplay would improve...

Manual, I am about to implement the paddle control, but right now it's still joystick :)

Here are the changes:

o Random horizontal positioning of data bits (no patterns!)

o Constant data bit speed per level (i asked about this, but wanted to see it in real life. is this too dizzying? do people prefer the varying speeds - even though that's not possible on a real hard drive? :)

o If incorrect data read, score decreases (instead of ending the game :)

o Latency buffer decreases when required data bit is missed or when no bit is read

o Latency buffer refills and you get bonus points after each data bit

As it gets faster (levels 4-5), my head starts to hurt from trying to watch the bits go by so quickly.. Is this currently too hard? I'm not sure a blinking data bit will help you identify it at the faster speeds..

Also, please ignore the flicker if you play it on a TV.. I'm pretty sure the flicker has to come from calling the RandomByte routine...

My current high score is 270AC - can you beat it?

Joe