Re: [stella] vcs net play ?

Subject: Re: [stella] vcs net play ?
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 16:35:38 +0200
> I don't see how it's possible, really.  Even if the games were 100%
> deterministic, then you'd still have to pause the emulations in order to
> keep them lock-step in sync.  Once you add in randomization routines on
both
> ends, the games will deviate.

There are no random elements in VCS emulation apart from the user
input. You only have to make sure that the emulator on both machines
starts at the same time. But you can make that part of the transfer
protocol. Also you are rendering the frame faster than the PC should
display them, therefore you need to syncronize with a 50/60 Hz
clock anyway. The time you spend waiting for the video sync can
easiely be used to transfer the user input between the two machines,
if the connection would be fast enough, what the internet currently
isn't.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

-