Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:25:58 -0700
At 12:46 AM 8/20/2001 -0500, you wrote:
Hmmm. Dunno. Would it still be piracy even though the end result was of a totally different design than the original? i.e. HDL vs. NMOS transistor layout? Or does it count because the design is based off the original work?

It could be considered theft of intellectual property by using the original proprietary schematics as a reference. You'd have to prove you totally reverse engineered the 2600 without being privy to any copyrighted technical information in order to be clear of that. But that's pretty much impossible today because so much once-classified Atari documentation is in heavy circulation.

It would be interesting to see what Infogrames is planning with its old properties. How pissed they would be is dependent on whether the final result steals their thunder or not.

The Toymax device involves no royalties paid to Infogrames that I am aware of, so at least in theory, I don't think it's necessary to worry about Infogrames suing.

Even though Atari of yore battled 2600 clones relatively successfully, I don't think it would ever come to that again.

WDC does indeed sell a VHDL version of the 65C02 core, but you can bet they'd want tons to use it, and one would have to sign an NDA.

Do companies like these really charge tons for what is, in the end, a 20+ year old chip design?

I wonder what the actual figures are, and how many devices are currently employing the 65C02 core. I would suspect not too many, vs. let's say, low-cost 32-bit RISC processors that aren't as confining as the 6502 is.

WDC may need the business enough to offer a bargain.

-