[stella] Newbie

Subject: [stella] Newbie
From: Ronald Gershwin <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all...I've just recently taken up Atari 2600
programming.  Haven't done any console programming
before, although I have done some motorola 6809
assembly language stuff.  6502 seems pretty
straightforward enough (although, of course, that's
the easy part :) ).  Anyway still learning a lot...in
fact the only thing semi-interesting I've done so far
is create an asymmetrical playfield which uses all 3
PF registers on both sides of the screen.  Doesn't
seem like there's much CPU time to do anything else
though. :)

Anyway sorry to keep rambling on...here's my actual
question:  OK, not having the means of interfacing
from computer to the actual VCS, I was wondering how
accurate the various emulators (i.e. 'StellaX', 'Z26')
are as far as the hardware goes.  Like, does anyone
know what, in particular, to watch out for that might
work OK on an emulator but not on the actual hardware?
 Also, what do you guys use to interface with the VCS
directly?  EPROM writers and old cartriges with the
rom chips removed or what? (I'm not really a hardware
person in case you couldn't tell)

Thanks,
Ben