Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy
From: Mark De Smet <de-smet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:17:02 -0500 (CDT)
> >But to tell the truth, the project is getting really crowded.  With this many
> >people working on it, separately or on a team, it really doesn't seem that

Chris, will you be publishing your thesis?

> Heh, I'm sorry that I thought the TIA would be a neat thing to work
> on.  Frankly, I thought no one was interested in the hardware since I
> rarely if ever see a post about it on this list.  I was looking at doing it

I think this is because of the limited number of people with hardware
backgrounds.  I mean it is fine because when it comes down to it, this is
a list to support people writing games etc.  Generally not much hardware
is required.

> purely on a learning basis; I want to learn about actual chip design and
> thought this would be a good way to go about this.  Heck, I may not even
> produce ANYTHING concrete about it and end up using the drawings as wall
> tapestries.

I completely agree.  After working with the chip some and being tormented
by the few details the stella programmers guide gives you, I would _love_
to go over the schematics(buggy or not) for a couple hours.

> Anyways, I would really like to see multiple takes on the same thing, and I
> planned on documenting stuff as I went along on my web page.

Well, I would like to see it :)

> The new project idea I had in mind was a highly integrated Bankzilla that
> could use a compact flash card for the ROM images and mapper files.  I
> thought it would be a good candidate for a try at FPGA'izing the TIA at the
> same time to save even more chips/power/space, and to learn something new
> at the same time.

Well this would be the only way to make a truely _portable_ vcs.  Wether
you do it for marketing, or just for the fun of it, it still requires the
integration of the chipset.  I've considered it on and off, but I've
realised that as a hobby, I can't take on projects that are too big as
I'll eventually become distracted and forget about it.  That's what
happened to my bankswitched sram cart I was working on about a year
ago.(very similar to cuttle cart, but using a serial port, and not
including the supercharger audio support.)

In any case, I for one would like to offer a note of encouragement, for
both Chris, and Kevin.

Mark

-