Re: [stella] Real 3D Space Calculations

Subject: Re: [stella] Real 3D Space Calculations
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:54:45 +0200
Hi Yvo!

> I think I missed most of this thread but I've done some 3d stuff on the
> gameboy after reading an article from
> Steven Judd ( he of fridge fame :-)
> Using a table of squares ( 256 bytes for the table ) you can rotate any
> point in the range -64 +63 with 2 subtractions an add and 2 lookups, which
> is pretty neat. What's more, with a second table you can project that same
> point using the same method and get the divide for free.
> All in all pretty neat. If anyone's interested gimme a shout or check out
> www.ffd2.com

I've been qiet some time on the thread, but so far I read & saved every
message. I'm currently reading a lot on this topic. Of course Steve
Judds brilliant ground works and some more stuff, for example I found a
book about 3D-Graics on the C64 in my collection. (Never noticed that
one before, I always grab such stuff at flea markets and forget about it
an hour later :-))

Polar- (or Spherical) coordinates seem to be one of the keys to success.
The more I'm reading about it, the more I think it's doable on the VCS.

For example: Steve Judd has in his 'Cool World' engine a rotating Cobra
MK3 in real 3D, with solid filled and textured(!) polygons - on a stock
C64 - running faster than the wireframed thing in the original Elite!

Now - I wouldn't have to do any 3D object or the like, no hidden-line or
clipping or areafill or shadows, all I have to calculate & display are
the center points & size of my ships. And I don't need to clear the
screen or double-buffer the output either.

So, for the sacrifice of two complete ROM pages (1/8 of a 4K ROM) and a
yet unknown amount of RAM, it should be doable in reasonable speed.

Later more. I plan to do an essay about my findings, (...when I'm done
researching :-)) since I'm still uncertain if I shall try it or not...

Maybe I start stripping Steves engine down to its basics on the C64
first and see what's happening then...

Greetings,
	Manuel

-