Re: [stella] Death Derby

Subject: Re: [stella] Death Derby
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:56:06 -0700
At 03:29 PM 7/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
Ok first, I think my friend had Death Race for NES... I do remember a game
resembling something like Thunderdome type thing.. Mad Max type thing.. why
don't you download a NES emulator and play it?! There's plenty out there.

They are all saying it can't find the right "mapper".

Anyone know of an emulator that will verifiably run this game?

Some of your ideas are cool.. I like the one about protecting the guy to get
it to the other side and the other player has to run your guy down.

Any ideas on the story I could use for that?

I was thinking that the game could end when x number of guys get from one end to the other, and maybe if one guy gets to the other side it subtracts an invasion point from the other, so you could have this balance of power thing.

An intermission would be nice.. I've always wanted an intermission sort of
like Pac-Man or Mr. Do.

As long as there is space that I wouldn't have to sacrifice game features, sure. If someone wanted to make an intermission up right now, I'd love to see it.

I'm certainly going to be raiding all of your brains both for ideas and for code on this one...

Piero, why don't you modify your Look Ma No Flicker demo into being a Pac Man-like intermission?? ;)

I always wondered why the 2600 version of Pac-Man was so terrible? Ms. Pac
wasn't that bad.

If for no other reason, the extra 4K of ROM space helped allow certain things.

One thing that was dropped, however, was the 2P mode. There wasn't enough RAM to store two sets of pellet states in Ms Pac Man. If it had been a little later they could have used the Superchip RAM. I think Jr. Pac Man uses the superchip. It' interesting to see the three as a clear evolution brought on by time and additional memory space. Same deal with Football vs. Realsports Football vs. Super Football or Video Pinball vs. Midnight Magic, etc...

-