Re: [stella] How about 6800?

Subject: Re: [stella] How about 6800?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:33:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Piero Cavina wrote:

> I'm not a microprocessor expert, but I think that the 6809 is a monster of
> a 8 bit processor. It was still in use in Willams/Bally pinball machines in
> the mid '90s.
> I think it was processor used in the Dragon 32/64 home computers.

And the TRS-80 Color Computer, which the Dragons were copies of.  Dear god,
yes...it *is* a monster.  If you want a screamin demon of an 8-bit computer,
get a Coco 3 running NitrOS-09.  Fully multitasking OS, optimized for speed.
Damn, that is a sweet setup.  I remember reading once that a Coco3 with a
256KB memory upgrade and NitOS-09 would out perform a 20MHz PC (286 I believe)
in most things.  Heh...the Coco only ran at 1.79MHz.  IIRC, it also had a
serial port that could run up to 115.2KBaud.  I'm not sure if anyone tried
to use it as a modem at that speed...nobody else could connect that fast.
They sure don't build em like that anymore!  :P  And if you really want a
monster, then put a Hitachi 6309 in the above setup.  The 6309 has a super
special secret mode that makes it a 16-bit proc with 32-bit internals.
I'm pretty sure there's a version of NitrOS-09 specially written for a 6309
modded Coco3.  Mmmmmmmmm.....

The 6809 is also used in the Vectrex.

And the Star Wars arcade game.  I have a cockpit model on the way!!

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!

-Chris

-