Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide

Subject: Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:27:59 -0700
Excellent work.

My advice is to bite the bullet and table-convert the rest of the document. If you need help on this, let me know.

What I'd like to see from this is perhaps to begin grafting in more information into the guide. There is little need to preserve the integrity of the original document anymore if the goal is just to use it to learn the 2600. It should be just part of a larger document, and once you get into HTML, then it's quite easy to add stuff directly into this page or linked from it.

For instance, you could the table of frequency and note values for the sound registers, or the analysis of how the 2600 reacts to HMOVE at particular clock counts that was done here on Stellalist.

You could also have a full color chart with best-guess swatches (table cell background colors in RGB). This could be done for NTSC and PAL.

The guide also has no code samples. Links to code samples would be very useful.

It would also be a good idea to split up the guide into chunks instead of making it one big page.

stellaguide_toc.html
stellaguide_tia.html
stellaguide_pia.html
stellaguide_tia_tech.html
stellaguide_registers.html

You can still link internally to external links:

ala

href="stellaguide_registers.html#wsync"

And all the diagram images should probably be links to the full image or thumbnails, not inline fullsize images.