Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide
Subject: Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide|
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:48:48 -0700
At 01:53 PM 9/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
But, why would colored table cells be better than a JPG image with all the
colors? With the table cells, you're trusting the browser's color pallette.
GIF would be better than JPEG. JPEG is really for photographs.
As far as using a single tall image, it would be harder to line it up in a
table with text next to it that way.
I've heard that different browsers do not necessarily display the same hex
triplet the same way.
Haven't heard that.
There was once the issue of "web safe colors" and the windows
palette. That was really only an issue back in the days of 8-bit graphics
cards. It's totally irrelevant today.
Of course, with a jpeg, you're trusting the color & tint knobs on the user's
monitor... same with a TV picture though.
With only 128 colors, there is enough "spread" between the hues that you
get a pretty decent guess at the color even given the variations on monitor
settings, if you use the palettes that the emulators have evolved into
using. Like if you want to pick a blue, there is only, I think, one set of
blues in the 2600 so unless your tint is wildly out of whack (which tends
not to be the case with VGA monitors unless they are really old) you'll
find the right color settings. I find swatches more useful than the
word-descriptions of colors in the stella guide.
RGB vs. NTSC does result in differences in the look, most notably in the
contrast or gamma, but we're talking about reasonable approximations here.
Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/
Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/
- Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide, (continued)
- Glenn Saunders - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 01:33:09 -0400 (EDT)
- B. Watson - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:56:33 -0400 (EDT)
- Glenn Saunders - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
- B. Watson - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:02:04 -0400 (EDT)
- Glenn Saunders - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:57:13 -0400 (EDT) <=
- B. Watson - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 15:21:13 -0400 (EDT)
- Jake Patterson - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 15:47:07 -0400 (EDT)
- Glenn Saunders - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
- B. Watson - Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:13:30 -0400 (EDT)