Re: [stella] TIA colorchart

Subject: Re: [stella] TIA colorchart
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:11:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> Here is a TIA colorchart as static HTML generated by Cold Fusion from an SQL
> table.  The data came from Z26 screenshots in NTSC and PAL, and from the URL
> recently posted with the more accurate SECAM RGB values.
>
> This is probably the best approximation, barring transcription errors.  The
> actual values are tooltip rollovers.  I think that only happens in IE, maybe
> NS6/Mozilla.  Don't know.

That's very pretty...

The tooltips don't work in netscape 4.7, but the chart is perfectly usable
without them.

> I can generate different views from this data very quickly since it's
> dynamically generated.  Ultimately I'm hoping the stelladoc v2 can be hosted
> off my gamedevelopers.net account so we can make easy cosmetic changes by
> iterating through tabular data like this via my database.  To do charts like
> this as totally static HTML is way too time-consuming.

Well, uhh... I think using Cold Fusion to dynamically generate the palette in
real time is slightly overkill. The palette colors aren't ever going to
change...

I think it's probably a good idea to avoid server-side scripting for this.. I'd
like it to be static HTML, so it can be hosted anywhere.. Not that there's
anything wrong with using tools like Cold Fusion to generate the HTML (I used
a lot of perl and some vi macros, when HTMLifying the text version of the doc),
but the finished product should stand alone, so it can be easily hosted on any
web server in the world...

What I'd like to do with this, is to use the generated HTML as part of the
Guide. If it needs to be modified, it'd be easy enough for you to generate a
new view to replace the old one.

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-