Re: [stella] Tentative plans for 2nd Edition Stella Guide

Subject: Re: [stella] Tentative plans for 2nd Edition Stella Guide
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:41:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Roger Williams wrote:

> > Hmmm, did you see my ugly 3x5 charset scrolling marquee? Your demo was one
> > of the things that inspired it... though I take full blame for the
> headaches
> > people will get from using it :)
>
> Yeah, more of a special effect than something you'd want to use.
> Why does it flicker so much?  I thought the basic 48-pixel code was
> miraculously flicker-free.  Of course, I'm just skirting stuff other than
> the playfield right now.  You fiend, now you've got me thinking about
> this...

The `standard' 48-pixel player code is flicker-free... but I'm doing 80 pixels
(the 40 on the left for one frame, the 40 on the right for the next frame).
That's how I get 20 characters (80pixels / 4pixels-per-char)... but I pay for
it with the flicker.  I still think it might be possible to do 96 pixels (48x2)
with this technique, but was unable to get the timing to work out right...

The character generation code would still be useful, if you wanted to do a
48-pixel (12 character) non-flickering `message window'... 12 characters would
be enough for some video game messages:

SHIELDS DOWN
ENERGY LOW
GAME OVER

...the code actually turns an ASCII string into its pixel representation in
RAM, during the vertical blank period.

Anyway, as far as your asymmetrical playfield tutorial goes, I haven't looked
at it yet, but I'm in the process of adding stuff to the Guide... Hopefully
I'll get the mess with my redirector straightened out, but until then:

http://urchlay.com:81/stelladoc/

...when I get the port 80 mess fixed, it'll be accessible at:

http://www.urchlay.com/stelladoc/

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-