[stella] Unreleased Oystron

Subject: [stella] Unreleased Oystron
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:39:28 -0700
Piero, please consider releasing the BIN and source to the variant on Oystron you were working on for Stella Gets a New Brain version 2. I think people would get a real kick out of it.

To let everyone know about this mysterious piece of 2600 history, I was secretly pushing Piero to make a 6K Starpath version of Oystron with extra features to include as an exclusive game for version 2. This was sometime in late 1998 I think. Piero decided to try to change some things and try to keep it within a 4K form-factor.

The graphics were altered significantly, for one thing. I can't remember off-hand which features changed, but it was a fun process seeing the game mutate and trying to keep Piero from going bonkers after having long burnt out on it. Ultimately there wasn't enough space available to add interesting new features without sacrificing other gameplay features. We both came to the conclusion that the game had been so thoroughly refined already that it was "perfected" as a 4K ROM. That's not something you can say about a lot of games.