Re: [stella] game ideas

Subject: Re: [stella] game ideas
From: Pete Holland <petehollandjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:26:18 -0800 (PST)
--- Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's ever been an artillery
> shooting game for the VCS...you know, where you
> control the elevation and power of your shot and try
> to hit the other guy on the other side of the screen
> (a la 'Worms' for the PC)?

Dude, I'll tell you the truth--there are so many games
with so many similarities, I wouldn't sweat it.  How
many games are derived from Space Invaders, or
Pac-Man, or Super Mario Bros., or fighting games?

Work on the game and make it your own.  If you worry
about, has someone already done it, you'll never get
anything done.  David Byrne once opined that there are
no new ideas, every story basically boils down to "boy
meets girl, etc."

For example, Thrust.  Now, there is already a shooting
game with gravity effects, tractor beam, and firing
bases on the 2600 called Gravitar.  But Gravitar eats.
 Thrust, despite the similarities, is a much slicker
game, with better graphics, tighter controls, and a
lot more depth IMHO.  It wasn't, "Well, Gravitar is
already done, I better not," it was, "This will be
great" and it was done.

Don't worry about "Is it already out there?"  Just do
it and make it worthwhile.

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.