Re: [stella] P2C+Cartesian to Polar = Night Pilot

Subject: Re: [stella] P2C+Cartesian to Polar = Night Pilot
From: "Roger Williams" <mer02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:25:21 -0800
>>Rotating the other player is actually trivial.

>I'm not talking about the coding.  It's not trivial because 8 bits of
>graphics are just insufficient for resolving many degrees of
>rotation.  Your shapes are going to look like garbage unless you stick to
>very primitive shapes (like the triangles in Asteroids).

Yeah, very true.  I'll probably stick with Combat-like shapes
which resolve to 22.5 degrees or 1/16 circle.  The overall
rotation of the landscape and constant motion should help
fill in the gaps.  Right now the first person orientation is only
resolved to 1.4 degrees or 1/256 circle and it obviously
isn't quite good enough, which is why the "linear" motion
as you move forward is so jumpy.  I think that if this is
fixed the eye will forgive a lot of other sins and approximations.

--Roger Williams