Re: [stella] DD Dead end?

Subject: Re: [stella] DD Dead end?
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:28:00 -0800 (PST)
> I can think of LOTS of ways to do it that involve
> flicker.  I could draw the
> tombstones/pedestrians every other frame, for
> instance.  But I really don't
> want to resort to flicker under any circumstances.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Glenn...correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using an
asymmetrical playfield to generate the tombstones,
right?  Well, assuming that's the case, by my count
that's going to take 42 cycles on the scanline that
the playfield gets displayed (6 loads and 6 stores).

OK, then you also mentioned six writes to adjust the
missiles, that's another 18 cycles...plus 2 loads and
2 immediate 'and's...that's another 12 cycles.  So
that's 72 total, plus that hasn't even taken into
consideration the bit shifting yet.

Judging by the concept screen, though, it looks like
you could use a reflected playfield and then not ever
have to modify PF0.  I don't know if you're already
doing this, but if not, that would save you at least
14 cycles right there...enough time for the bit shifts
maybe?

Ben