Re: [stella] Homebrew-Homepage-Screenshots

Subject: Re: [stella] Homebrew-Homepage-Screenshots
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:08:20 -0330
On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 09:07:48PM -0500, Erik J. Eid wrote:
> Albert Yarusso, one of the maintainers of AtariAge, told me that he prefers
> the "non-lossy" picture formats such as PCX, BMP, and PNG.  I believe that
> GIF is a lossy compression format.

GIF uses LZW compression, which is non-lossy. LZW is patented, however,
so you end up losing in a different way. PNG is a good alternative.[1]
Unfortunately PNG is not as widely supported as GIF.
(you're thinking of JPEG, which uses quantization and DCTs to aid
compression, both of which cause loss)

[1] -- Technically, PNG can be lossy, too, but in its default mode,
it isn't.

--
  -/
 |/|  Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>