Re: [stella] Re: Gunfight Release Candidate(s)

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: Gunfight Release Candidate(s)
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 10:13:12 -0800

Is there any plan to port z26 to Windows. It's a great program (especially
the log feature) but as a DOS program, the performance under Windows XP is a
little disappointing.
<<

I have to second this motion that we need a better Windows emulator. StellaX is showing its age (no illegal opcode support, etc...) and Brad has for all intents and purposes ceased development of the core and Jeff Miller last updated StellaX-proper over a year ago.

I have developed Death Derby to date with almost no runtime debug capabilities because there isn't an emulator that runs well on Windows 2000 that has full-fledged debugging. I think I'd learn 6502 asm better if I could single-step through it. PCAtari for windows has the best debugger, but it is totally slow and wildly unstable under Win2K. Z26 runs without sound (on my PC at work it tries to use the motherboard speaker!!) and has the more minimal trace functions.

I doubt I will upgrade from 2K to XP anytime soon because of Microsoft's licensing scheme. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.

We need a better/revised emulator for windows. Someone has to do it sooner or later.