Re: [stella] Re: Gunfight Release Candidate(s)

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: Gunfight Release Candidate(s)
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 09:03:20 +0100
Glenn wrote:
> The 2600 sound channels seem to behave quite differently in PAL vs. NTSC
> (see the charts).
>
> If you sequenced Ring of Fire to PAL, that might explain why it seems so out
> of tune in NTSC.  You may have to do some conditional assembly and have a
> totally different sequence for NTSC music vs. PAL, in order to find the
> sweet intonation spot for both.

Sorry, but I don't agree here.

The difference between PAL and NSTC is, that *all* values are differing by the *same* amount. So, the *relative* frequency between to notes stays the same when you switch from NTSC to PAL.

And I think, it doesn't matter if you play two notes with i.E. 220 and 440 hz or 230 and 460 hz. Nearly nobody has the perfect ear to notice that, because the two pairs are never played together.

That's the idea behind Tune2600, which I posted some weeks ago. It only tries to optimize the relative frequencies and not the absolute ones.
Maybe it's time for Manuel to test it now. Then he could very easy create 3 or 4 different versions and someone, who has access to real hardware, could select the best sounding one.

What would be noticeable, is the speed when the notes are played, but that should be easier to correct.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

Berufsunfähigskeitversicherung von Mamax bei WEB.DE.
Jetzt informieren! http://bu.web.de