RE: [stella] Midified VCS...

Subject: RE: [stella] Midified VCS...
From: "dboris" <dboris@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:00:18 -0500
They may have taken chips from machines for R&D but they certainly couldn't
do that economically for thier production units. At the time there was a LOT
of potential money in the videogame industry, especially in the 2600 arena,
so Coleco probably put a lot of money and resources into doing the reserve
engineering. Put a dozen engineers on the project working full time, they
could come up with a clone pretty rapidly. Of course there is also the
possibility of industrial espionage, they very well could have gotten access
to classified info from people who worked (or used to work) at Atari. As big
as the industry was at the time this would not have been unheard of.

Dan