[stella] The heart of darkness. (was midified VCS)

Subject: [stella] The heart of darkness. (was midified VCS)
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 01:54:28 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Wilkson" <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>

> Hmmm....everything looks digital to me.  Do you have any specific
examples?
> I mean, there are half pass gates, but it is afterall an NMOS process.

Cool.  So it's a deterministic machine.  I suspected as much.  ;-)  I don't
know what a half pass gate is.  But to cut to the chase, the part I'm most
interested in understanding is right on page one.  The horizontal motion
registers.  There are four types of cells.  Lets start with the easy one.
Typical cell 5 places at the top.  Looks like it has 3 control lines: H02,
H01, and SEC.  One input at the bottom and one output at the top, where the
extra clock pulses come out.

How does it work?  I recognize the NAND gates and the NOR gates.  I don't
recognize the FET looking thingys.  Can you write down a logic equation for
just that one cell type?  Can you explain it in detail?  What does *A* mean?
Why are there stars?

John