Re: [stella] Safely switching back to freeware? (Was: Gunfight 2600: Final Release Version)

Subject: Re: [stella] Safely switching back to freeware? (Was: Gunfight 2600: Final Release Version)
From: Chad Schell <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 01:01:38 -0800

> future.  "Oh, don't forget to support this mode for that silly Gunfight
> game.  What was he thinking?"  Or, "Oh yea, Gunfight won't work on that new
> portably 2600, something strange about that cart." But it's your game, so

So it'd be in the headlines for years? ;-)

That's one way of looking at it. Free advertising I guess.

Do you think that adding a SEC or CLC would generate reliable
checksums on all systems?

Assuming that the initial carry state is indeed the problem, I believe that SEC or CLC would do it. It seems like good practice to me in any case to specify the carry bit in anything that relies on it but doesn't automatically set it when you initialize things.

Point is, that I don't want to remove the Hack-Protection, for reasons
I explained in former mails. (->Kabul-Kaboom)
Would it be a safe way to run the checksums in every page only
from $00-$EF? (That and/or freeing $FFF8?)

If you want it to work on an unmodified Supercharger, it's best to avoid FFF8 and FFF9, the bankswitch and audio addresses. These addresses should not be issues on the Cuttle Cart (provided the audio file is tagged as a 4K game) or a standard eprom cart.

Chad

Chad Schell
gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Like the Atari 2600?  Check out the Cuttle Cart.
http://www.schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml