Re: [stella] Poker Solitaire, build 00f

Subject: Re: [stella] Poker Solitaire, build 00f
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:24:47 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Erik J. Eid wrote:

> At 06:29 AM 11/24/01 -0500, Brian Watson wrote:
> >This is the latest build of Poker Solitaire. It's now 6:15AM, I must have
> >lost my mind by now, but it's now something like 90% complete (unfortunately
> >the remaining 10% is probably the hardest, most time consuming part :)
>
> Amen to that!  I usually set the portions at 80% and 20%, but the sentiment
> is sound.

I think this principle applies to just about anything requiring skill..
probably my grandma would tell me the same thing about crosstiching :)

> >Added crib sheet, listing hands & their scores (press Select to see it)
>
> This is a rather nice feature.  However, I'm not sure that I like having to
> hold down Select for as long as I want to look at it.  What would you think
> of making this a toggle switch instead, or using one of the difficulty
> switches or color/BW for it?

Yeah.. Probably it'll be a toggle using Select, I think I want to try to
make color/BW actually run the game in color or B/W, and left diff. is
already used in the next build: if you start the game with left diff. on
pro, you get the first 5 cards dealt to the center & 4 corners.

> If you are concerned about how this looks (and it appears there is some
> from later messages), how about displaying these in the same way Yahtzee
> does, which the six-sprite score routine, alternating between descriptions
> in one frame and scores in the other?  You'd get better resolution for the
> font and two-frame flicker isn't much to deal with.

Indeed. Actually, I already have a kernel that does this (5 digits, not 6,
but easily modified) that I posted here as `scrolling marquee'.. but the
PF is probably good enough for this game (Jake designed a better looking
crib sheet, which I will probably use as-is)

> >Things still left to do:
> >
> >Joystick & trigger debounce, instead of blindly ignoring them for 15 frames
> >         between reads)
>
> I noticed that sometimes after pressing the trigger to start a game, the
> first card will already be played in the upper-left corner, probably
> because the trigger hadn't cleared.

I just played a couple of hands on a real VCS, I didn't have that happen
to me, but my roommate tried it & it did happen to him. Shouldn't be hard
to fix.

> So far, so good...

It's getting there...

B.