Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:40:58 +0100
Hi Chad!

>One problem I see is the lack of advertising.  I
personally didn't see a
>lot of press about these games outside of the Stella
list, which isn't read
>by much of the classic gaming community at large.
Compare this to say Qb,
>which had a lot of advertising in rgvc and sold well.

See, that's a point where we're almost thinking in the
same lines. And I can assure you, that I spent way more
of my time/energy for changing that, than for any
_thoughts_ (How often shall I say that?) I spent about
this'n'that protection.

>See above out the timing of Jammed.  And if you're
really looking for just
>for $5.00 commission, why not use the Cuttle Cart to
your advantage and
>just sell the ROM for $5.00, kind of like shareware.

Hm... people not wanting to spend 16$ for a real
cartridge would spend 5$ for receiving _nothing_
instead?

>>So be the Cuttle Cart the homebrew to end all other
>>homebrews and Chad being the only one to get some $$
>>back for his (admittedly) hard work?

>If that was my intention, I would simply give people a
patch to allow them
>to play Gunfight.  I'm not working against you Manuel.
I don't distribute
>ROMs and I've never done anything to help people obtain
or play your games.

Thanks.

>I personally do not like your policy.  I think it's
very silly to release
>the ROM for play on emulators or for burning onto
carts, but not for play
>on the Cuttle Cart / Supercharger.  If you want people
to buy to play, use
>the Ebivision model that you only sell the game and
it's not freely
>available to anyone.  Singling out one sector shows a
personal bias against
>that sector (and those products) in my opinion.

I think my wish that people wanting to play my game on
real hardware should buy a real cartridge isn't that bad
a policy.

>I'm also very annoyed about Gunfight because I had been
told by you that
>you would remove the anti-Cuttle Cart code before
releasing the ROM.  Then
>I start getting all these "Gunfight doesn't work"
complaints.  So much for
>removing it eh?

To quote myself on that particular message, I said:

"The more I'm thinking about it, the more I think about
fixing that code."

Which actually is not quite the same as "I'm removing
that code for sure."

Apart from that, the BIN _was_ already released by then,
even on Atari Age. So much about timing...

>>Think Ebivision or other guys doing "homebrews". From
>>Ebivison games you don't even see a screenshot, before
>>you buy them...

>True, but they also don't come to the public community
for assistance in
>developing and play testing their games.

You are saying that I'm taking more from [Stella] than
giving?

Greetings,
	Manuel