Starfields (Re: [stella] Star Voyager)

Subject: Starfields (Re: [stella] Star Voyager)
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 22:38:49 +0100
Hi Eckhard!

>It's like that on a real VCS as well. But at least
>that means that there is still room for improvement
>when you write your Star Fire game. ;-)

Thanks for confirming that!
So I'll continue my starfields analysis with Star
Raiders and Starmaster, not wasting any more time with
that bug collection :-)

Hm... talking about starfields... can anyone imagine
doing a cool & reasonable starfield without regular
midscreen RESBLs?

Just with some clever fine-movements?

I' spent some time thinking about it, but I don't think
it's possible, without either sacrificing loads of RAM
or ROM, too much in both cases I can think of...

Besides, without RESBL, I think one is limited to a
vertical distance of at least (160/2)/7 -> 12 lines from
one star to another, which should result in a rather
crappy looking starfield and not too many stars either
in a 2LK...

Somebody here to prove me wrong with some clever
mathematical/HMOV tricks? ;-)

Hm... with a RESBL every nth line, I doubt one could do
any enemy spaceships with higher resolution than 16
pixels, since the RESBL must be exactly doable on any
horizontal position, as well as any further GRPX write
must be timed exactly...

Hm... When I RESBL to either pixel 0 or 80 every 6th
line or to pixel 0,40,80 or 120 every 3rd line...

Hm... hm... have to think another XX hours 'bout that...
:-)

Greetings,
	Manuel