Re: [stella] ideas..

Subject: Re: [stella] ideas..
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
> Using the playfield won't work.  You don't have
> enough
> CPU cycles _or_ RAM, and it would look crappy at 40
> pixels horizontal resolution even if you did.

My idea for this wasn't to have a solid-wall arena,
but rather have the borders of the tank arena composed
of just intermittent points (squares), sort of like
wire-frame graphics, except without the wires. :)  I
agree that it would not look awesome, but I think it
would look ok.  As far as the practicality of it, the
dynamic playfield itself would take 75 bytes for 40x15
resolution.  Assuming the virtual arena is, say,
256x256 playfield pixels, but you only allow arena
wall coordinates to be at every 8th position, you
could fit one cartesian coordinate into 10 bits.  That
would mean 32 bytes to store 25 coordinates, for a
total of 107 bytes, leaving 21 bytes for other stuff.
Obviously 32 coordinates isn't that many, but it might
be enough to create an arena...

Ben