Re: [stella] Debugger

Subject: Re: [stella] Debugger
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 18:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> At 12:03 PM 7/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >About the debugger for the Stella emulator, I've just got to spend
> >a few hours syncing up my patches (which are against Stella 1.1) with
> >the current CVS code (stella.sourceforge.net). Then it'll be time to
> >give the debugger a nicer user interface...
>
> I hope you know how important this thing is to 2600 homebrewers!

Yes.. that's why I started on it (to scratch an itch)..

> PCatari's debugger is good in principle but PCAtari in general runs like
> crap on Windows 2000/XP, which leaves developers like me with having to
> basically do everything via trial and error.  I tried running the PCAtari
> debugger but it's just too unstable to fiddle with.

Er, I have no way of testing anything on windows 2000 or XP.. the only
windows I have is 98, and I don't have it installed on anything right
now.. I can test the debugger on Linux/UNIX and DOS, it'll be up to
the maintainer of the windows-specific stuff to let me know if it
works or not (Currently, that'd be Manuel, I hear Cyberstella is
pretty nice)

> I think that once Stella has a decent debugger (hopefully one that can
> somehow show where the scanline is in mid screen) that all us newbies that
> are not on DOS will be able to make a lot more progress in our games.

Glenn, you've been at this far longer than I, if you're a newbie, I'm, err,
an uber-newbie... but the debugger, once it's finished, should work Just
Fine on windows XP or 2000.. with a little help from someone who actually
uses/codes on windows. Basically, it's a line-oriented interface, like
the old `machine language monitors' from Atari 800 and C=64 days, with
one-letter commands (d for dump, c for `change memory', u for `unassemle'
(hey, d was already taken!), s to single step, etc. etc), and it can read
the symbol dump files created by dasm's -s option, so you can refer to your
labels and also the ones from vcs.h...

I may even have time to drag out the code tomorrow & see if it'll at least
compile.. if so, expect to see it in the Stella sourceforge CVS soon. I'm not
sure just what the state of the code was when I last left it, but it's based
on Stella 1.1, and needs to be `ported' to work on the latest version.. which
is nowhere near as much fun to do as to write it in the first place, which is
one reason why it hasn't gotten done yet..

B.