Re: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:29:43 +0200
Hi Clay!

>> Uhm... so, if I'm repeating the same HMOVE value 23 times, my
>> positioning precission is only in jumps of 23 pixels (besides having
>> constant vertical gaps of 23 lines). Right now I have 8 pixels, so I
>> probably fail to see the benefit of your idea?

>Maybe there isn't one. What's your plan for arbitrarily positioning each
>star?

I'll create a certain pattern for ENABL. This'll switch off a certain #
of stars, so the stars background will look almost randomized. At least
you won't recognize those diagonals anymore. When moving vertically,
I'll just shift the offset of my pattern synchronized, so it looks like
the complete stars background is moving like a solid block. I hope I'll
get it done tonight, so you can see it.

>> No, I won't flicker. And the problem with adding the missile would be,
>> that it'd have the same color as the sprites.

>Don't be so quick to discount flicker. A solid, consistent 30Hz flicker is
>almost imperceptible for single-pixel objects. Look how effective it was in
>Asteroids for much larger objects.

Just wait and see. I doubt you'll still think there's not enough stars
onscreen then ;-)

Greetings,
	Manuel